And now for something completely different, a plea from @mishacollins on behalf of @whatisgishwhes. Do you dare to be called? #ScavengerHunt
This is Misha Collins: some of you may recognise him from the ‘television’, where he has played varying unusual and questionable roles, most recently as an ‘Angel Of The Lord’ in the US series Supernatural. Known affectionately as ‘The Angel In The Dodgy Mac’ (by me), or ‘Castiel‘ (by others). (Or ‘Cas’ …. by Dean!)
You may be wondering “Why is she telling us this? Has she got some weird celebrity crush going on?” You’d be right to muse in such ways, and I’m quite happy to elaborate, because although Misha is quite cute for someone with so many teeth, it’s what he does when he’s not playing Angels or Assassins which sparked my interest in his work.
In 2009 Misha joined forces with some other very clever and amazing creative people and became part of RANDOMACTS , a non-profit based fundraising organisation in the United States. Working with volunteers on five continents, Random Acts encourages people of all ages to do good works in the world. In 2010 alone they achieved the following:
2010 RANDOM FACTS
- For the “Run, Misha, Run” campaign, Misha Collins ran 83 km (52 miles) to raise almost $85,000 for Random Acts, three Haitian orphanages, and flood relief efforts in Pakistan.
- Helped raise more than $30,000 for Misha Collins’ “Pony Up” Campaign for Haiti.
- Presented a laptop and printer to a deserving child.
- Bought new shoes for a 5-year-old boy and his surprised father.
- Purchased a new mattress and comfortable chairs for a senior couple.
- Gave bicycles to strangers resting in a park.
- Handed out toys to neighborhood children in Mexico.
- Presented umbrellas to unsuspecting commuters in Korea.
- Gave strangers flowers in France and England.
- Provided supplies to children to create art in a square in Russia.
Now the even more important bit:
Recently Misha called upon his twitter ‘minions’ to check out an obscure link to something named GISHWHES, we had no idea what we were looking at, but we were tasked to decide what it was and create a website….this was mine: http://quinonostantegishwhes.weebly.com/. It was monumentally incorrect in it’s assumptions, but made from the heart.
As you can now see it was an announcement The ‘Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen’ and you can register to be part of what will be an official Guinness World Record!
Today I received the email I’ve copied below from Misha (probably along with several thousand others, but this one is MINE!) and I’m sharing it with you, because I think that Misha’s ‘hunt’ will be another example of his ability to be very ‘un-hollywood’ and generally ‘non-celebby’ (I made that word up). It will be a means of paying what we pay in ‘forward‘ to help people in need of Random Acts of Kindness, globally, and this kind of unselfish time sharing is inspiring. There are less than 6 hours left to register and it costs less than $10 (US dollars). As I’m in deepest darkest Devon, in the UK,I’d imagine I will be ‘hunting alone’, unless of course YOU register and add my name (Quinonostante) to your team and we ride this roller-coaster together.
I’m going to be candid with you. We have already trounced the world record. Was there ever a question of our greatness? Don’t answer that. It was rhetorical.
- Look in the mirror and ask “Do I have friends?”
- If your answer is “no”, delete this email and wait for the GISHWHES to launch, win the hunt, fly to Rome and make friends with the other winners. Now you have friends. You’re welcome.
- If your answer is “yes” go to 4.
- Invite your friends to join in GISHWHES. Email them the link to the website, forward this email, teepee their house with the URL, paint the website on their car…whatever you need to do to get them to join you. They may not like me. They may not even know me. But they know you and presumably like you, so get them to sign up!
- When they register, have them enter your name so they can be on your team.
- Wait for the List of Items and Rules and Teams to be posted.
- Win this sucker.